Monthly Archives: March 2017
For something that barely existed 10 years ago (and in the case of some platforms didn’t exist at all!), social media marketing seems to have taken over the world – it is now estimated that many people spend up to 6 hours a day using social media! And with this revolution has also come a revolution in advertising. Internet advertising overtook advertising in traditional print media way back in 2013 and it has been predicted that it will be taking over TV advertising spend this year.
In 2016 an estimated £1,275 billion was spent on social media advertising in the UK, and this figure is expected to keep on rising. Social media has become such an entrenched part of so many people’s lives that savvy marketers have all but given up trying to engage with potential clients through more traditional advertising formats. If your customer already spends much of their time on with social media, then surely you are going to be fighting a losing battle trying to engage with them any other way?
So it seems like investing in some social media advertising could be a good idea. But there are so many options out there, how do you know what you should be doing? One thing is clear, social media advertising is much more complex than simply sticking your logo in someone’s Facebook newsfeed. Effective social media advertising is an art form and so if you’re not sure where to start we would recommend getting some professional advice. There are numerous options for you here; everything from large scale multi-nationals to smaller more local companies who can provide a more personalised service.
But however you choose to proceed, here are a few top tips for getting the most out of your social media advertising:
- Use free social media to test out your paid ads – this should seem like simplicity itself, but so many people overlook it. If you are thinking of trying out a new ad, why not post it organically first and then track it’s performance, if it’s flop then you’ll know not to waste your money.
- Target, target, target – social media platforms hold lots of useful information about their users, so ensure that you use this to make sure that you are only paying for ads which are going to get in front of the right people.
- Rotate your ads frequently – users will quickly get bored of seeing the same thing, so make sure that if you do want to repeat an ad then mix it in with a few different ones to keep your content feeling fresh and engaging.
- Remember that one size definitely does not fit all – different social media platforms exist for a reason; the way that people use and interact with Facebook is considerably different to how they use Twitter and Instagram, so ensure that your ads are targeted to each different platform.
- Think small – screen that is! – more than 80% of social media users access their platforms via mobile devices, so make sure that your ads are designed with a small screen in mind. Large text heavy ads will never stand out on mobiles, so think short, snappy text and easily viewed images.
To find out more about how your business could benefit from social media advertising, contact the experts at 3W Consulting today. We will provide a free, no obligation, consultation to talk through all of your options to get you started reaping the benefits of social media advertising.